lsusb

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 22:20:04 UTC 2006

On 29 Mar 2006 17:27:48 +0200, Ingemar Nilsson <init at pdc.kth.se> wrote:

> "Tod Merley" <todbot88 at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I do not have FC5 up yet.  I first tried a "locate lsusb" after recently
> > running "updatedb" as root and found nothing.  I did a Places > Search
> For
> > Files and in the "Look in Folder" chose the CD.  I searched for "usb"
> and
> > found usbutils-1.0.13.i386.rpm on FC4 disk 4.  After installation and
> doing
> > another "updatedb" I located /sbin/lsusb and its manual gz file (so "man
> > lsusb" now works).  I also did an "lsusb" in google which is great for
> info.
>
> This sounds like a really awkward way. There are other ways:
>
> 1) If you have an rpm, like the usbutils rpm you mentioned, you can run
>
> rpm -qlp usbutils-1.0.13.i386.rpm
>
> which will list all files that will be installed by this rpm. Remember,
> qlp = Query List Packagefile. If the package is already installed, remove
> the p, getting -ql.
>
> 2) The easiest way is to use yum:
>
> yum provides lsusb
>
> which will list the packages that contain any file that has lsusb in the
> name. This means that the above command will give both the program file
> and
> the man page:
>
> usbutils.i386                            0.70-1.1               core
> Matched from:
> /sbin/lsusb
> /usr/share/man/man8/lsusb.8.gz
>
> The output may differ slightly on FC5, since I ran this on FC4.
>
> Regards
> Ingemar
>
> --

Hi Ingemar!

Thanks for the info!

FC5 defaults to looking to the internet for adding or removing programs.
Knowing yum better is something I am thankful for.  Thanks again!

Sometimes I wonder, however, if it would be better to use a time frozen
"snapshot" of all the software rather than the "moving target" of the most
recent.  I see a lot of mail here and elseware where "I updated and
something broke" is the cry!

With gratitude!

Tod