ssh from work to home

Andrew linux.als at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 02:25:36 UTC 2006

Friends,

I'm stuck behind a firewall at work that will not allow inbound ssh -- but
it will allow outbound ssh.

Work is a private 10... network. My home computer is connected to a cable
modem with an assigned IP address

I want to open an xterm on my home computer and access my WORK computer.
Both boxes run FC4.

The catch (for me anyway) is that I have to issue the command (create the
ssh connection) from my work terminal ...

I've googled this and I'm wondering if ssh -R is what I'm looking for ??

If so ... is this right way to do what I want ??

When I leave work ...
work> ssh -R home_ip:2222:work_ip:22

When I get home ...
home> xterm -e ssh home_ip:2222