Problems with rsync over ssh

I have an rsync command that works perfectly from a user terminal, using my
key.  I saved the command to a file and made it executable, then attempted to
run it as a cron job.  This fails with the follosing errors:

Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password).
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(420)

Googling hasn't helped.  I can find several references to it, but the only one
that seemed useful concerned permissions settings.  Since it ran manually,
this didn't seem relevant, but I've made sure that they are correct according
to that thread anyway.

Can anyone give me a pointer, please?

Anne