Tyan S488[125] + FC[3-5]

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Thu Mar 30 20:21:11 UTC 2006

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Gaspar Bakos wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have a comparison and experience with the following Tyan
> Quad motherboards supporting 4 AMD opteron CPUS?:
>
> S4881: AMD-8000 + NVIDIA chipset
> S4882: AMD-8000 chipset
> S4885: nVidia chipset
>
> Our goal is to build a 4 CPU Opteron system, each CPU being dual core (so
> essentially we would have 8 CPUs). We would run RH FC[345] on it
> (whichever we find more stable for the purpose).
>
> I did lot of googling, and the above motherboards are pretty much
> compatible with recent linux kernels. However, there may be subtle
> incompatibilities (e.g. Broadcom, Silicon fake SATA drivers, etc.) that
> would rank the motherboards as one being more linux compatible than others.
>
> Even experience such as "I have this system and runs fine" would be useful.

Newer is better in this case... I think you'll find the the 2.6.15 in fc5
supports the nvidia boards adequately.

There really are no suprises with the amd 8xxx only based systems.

If you need raid do it in software or spring for a hardware controller
since the cost is strictly incremenantal given how much 4 8xx cpu's are
going to cost for the board.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu