newbie: howto install mplayer codecs

Nat Gross nat101l at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 22:48:55 UTC 2006

On 3/29/06, Nat Gross <nat101l at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi;
> I have read and reread.... all kinds of info on mplayer codecs.
> Simple question(s).
> 1) WHERE do I install the codec(s)? Is it just a matter of a file copy?
> 2) WHICH codec do I need for wmv, avi, and mpeg files? (The mplayer
> site lists all kinds of details on so many codecs!  But no info for a
> newbie.)
> 3) Do I *need* to involve Firefox in the mix?
>
> This, on FC5 32-bit, 2ghz machine.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> -nat

For the good or....
This is what I did:
1. rm /usr/lib/win32/*
2. rm /usr/local/lib/codecs/
3. yum remove mplayer
4. freshrpms.repo, enable=0
5. installed the new fc5 livna enablling rpm.
6.  yum install mplayer mplayer-gui mplayer-skins mplayerplug-in
Now, # rpm -qa | grep mplayer
mplayer-skins-1.4-1.lvn5
mplayer-1.0-0.37.pre7try2.lvn5
mplayer-fonts-1.1-3.lvn5
mplayerplug-in-3.21-1.lvn5

However, now it wants me to pass it parameters, if I type
#mplayer, I get:
MPlayer 1.0pre7try2-rpm.livna.org-4.1.0 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Xeon/Celeron Foster (Family: 8, Stepping: 4)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes

Usage:   mplayer [options] [url|path/]filename

Basic options: (complete list in the man page)
 -vo <drv[:dev]>  select video output driver & device ('-vo help' for a list)
 -ao <drv[:dev]>  select audio output driver & device ('-ao help' for a list)
 vcd://<trackno>   play (S)VCD (Super Video CD) track (raw device, no mount)
 dvd://<titleno>   play DVD title from device instead of plain file
 -alang/-slang    select DVD audio/subtitle language (by 2-char country code)
 -ss <timepos>    seek to given (seconds or hh:mm:ss) position
 -nosound         do not play sound
 -fs              fullscreen playback (or -vm, -zoom, details in the man page)
 -x <x> -y <y>    set display resolution (for use with -vm or -zoom)
 -sub <file>      specify subtitle file to use (also see -subfps, -subdelay)
 -playlist <file> specify playlist file
 -vid x -aid y    select video (x) and audio (y) stream to play
 -fps x -srate y  change video (x fps) and audio (y Hz) rate
 -pp <quality>    enable postprocessing filter (details in the man page)
 -framedrop       enable frame dropping (for slow machines)
First off, I do not know what options to use.
Secondly, for each movie type I will have to use diferent parameters?
Third, its not part of the gui any longer; can't right-click and
choose 'play in mplayer'.
Fourth, What about Firefox?

Thank you all, and please help me thru here.
nat