yum upgrade to FC5 64 bit e2fsprogs problem

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Mar 30 23:11:33 UTC 2006

Matt M. wrote:
> I am trying to upgrade from FC4 to FC5 and I am running into issues.
>
> I am using the x86_64 version.
>
> So far I have done this:
> rpm -Uvh ftp://ftp.net.usf.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/x86_64/os/Fedora/RPMS/fedora-release-5-5.noarch.rpm
> then
> yum -y upgrade
>
> Everything is downloaded, yum gets to the Transaction Test then I keep
> getting the following error:
> Transaction Check Error:   file /usr/share/man/man8/blkid.8.gz from
> install of e2fsprogs-1.38-12 conflicts with file from package
> e2fsprogs-1.38-0.FC4.1
>
> I am a novice at linux so if I have not provided enough info please let me know.

I'm not familiar with 64 bit and which packages have legitimate 32 and
64-bit versions. I suppose both would be the same version number. Anyway
checking with rpm for versions for the package to make sure you do not
have multiple versions of the same package on your system would be wise.
I would then try to upgrade the package with yum. It should pull in the
deps and install.

You are indeed brave to attempt an upgrade using yum.

Jim

--
Windows is the best $89 solitaire game you can buy.