Fedora Core 5 -- slow GUI performance

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Mar 31 01:50:03 UTC 2006

Motor wrote:
> I have an AMD Athlon XP2000+ with a Matrox G550 card. I used to use it
> with satisfactorily with FC4. I recently upgraded to FC5, and I'm finding
> that the graphics performance is quite poor.

How do the colors look? Are there any visual blemishes in the desktop
background? I ask because I noticed this on a system that I upgraded
initially.
I had to go into runlevel 3 and run system-config-display and setup my
video resolution again with the program. The program showed 800x600 at
256 colors. I was able to change the settings to 180x1024 and maximum
color. When going back to the GUI, the color problems wer gone and
everything was greal with no visual blemishes.

> This... well... sucks, and is a pretty major regression from FC4,
> especially since the Matrox G550 has Free software drivers. Is it ever
> likely to get fixed, or am I just stuck? Is there anyway to get Pango in
> FC5 not to use Cairo (assuming that is the culprit)?

My problem was with an Intel 815 card using the i810 driver. The driver
works fine, the X setup was lacking the "just works" feature though.

Just an idea since the Matrox and the Intel suffered a similar problem
when FC4 was released. I might be off base with this suggestion.

Jim

--
Exhilaration is that feeling you get just after a great idea hits you,
and just before you realize what is wrong with it.