fc5: install everything?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Mar 31 07:43:14 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 14:39 -0800, K. Richard Pixley wrote:
> Claude Jones wrote:
> > On Tue March 28 2006 15:29, Jim Cornette wrote:
> >
> >> The everything install is not really missing. The choice is a
> >> few clicks away vs. one button to pull in all packages
> >> available in core.
> >>
> > After kicking up a big fuss over this, I now pretty much agree
> > with you. Any time lost by having to click through several extra
> > menus is offset by the time saved by not having to deal with the
> > issues that were created by the old "everything" button, after
> > the installation.
> >
> I've never seen any problems from an "everything" installation of either
> redhat or fedora.

You mustn't be applying updates regularly then. The FC4 "Everything"
install included some kernel modules for clustering, which, when an
updated kernel was released, caused dependency issues that blocked all
other updates being installed for several days before the matching
updates to the kernel module were pushed. The vast majority of Fedora
users didn't need these modules, and their presence on their systems,
blocking updates, was a security issue as well as an annoyance for them.

Of course, it could be argued that the kernel modules should have been
built and pushed at the same time as the kernel itself, and that would
be right. But that's not what happened and it caused a real problem for
the "Everything" installers.

Paul.