Re: USB hard drive

From: "Jacques B." <jjrboucher gmail com>
To: mhw wittsend com,"For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list redhat com>
Subject: Re: USB hard drive
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 15:04:29 -0400

<snip>
> > >Can you list what happens when you plug the hard drive in whilst Linux
> > >is booted?
> > >
> > >Can you try the hard drive in another system (a Windows one would help
> > >with debugging)?

Small world, I had the same issue today (not a FC system, but a Linux
system so quite likely similar reasons).  When I had a Maxtor 40 gig
in the USB 2.0 enclosure  my laptop with a bootable Linux CD could see
that drive.  But when I put in a Western Digital 40 gig drive it
couldn't see that drive properly (some errors in dmesg waiting for
drive to be ready, and some other such message).  I know the drive is
valid because I had viewed it under a Windows system (doing a forensic
acquisition) and was using a Linux box to re-hash the drive for
validation.  I wonder if the problem might be with certain brand
drives working properly with Linux while in a USB enclosure?

Jacques B.