USB hard drive

Anil Kumar Sharma xplusaks at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 16:56:30 UTC 2006

On 3/31/06, Jim Douglas <jdz99 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> No problem on Windows I copied file to the drive.

First, boot into windows (I hope U have Win2000 or XP)
Go into manage   (Right click 'My Computer') -> manage -> disk management ->

check the  of partitons numbers and their format
(primary are 1-2-3-4.  extended are 5-6-7- - - - -  -)

Now in linux try
# sfdisk -l    << use this very very carefully, better read manpages
beforehand >>

man says
   List Partitions
       The second type of invocation: sfdisk -l [options] device will list
the
       partitions on this device.  If the device argument is omitted, the
par-
       titions on all hard disks are listed.

now try
# mount -t vfat /dev/sdxn /media/mydearexternalhdd
sdxn=select from output of sfdisk = sda1 most probably      x=a/b/c/d ,
n=1/2/3/4/ partition U desire to mount

Windows wrote files on this hdd - so it cannot be ext3 (bcoz it never got
mounted on linux)
Good Luck
--
Anil Kumar Shrama