USB hard drive

Jim Douglas jdz99 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 31 19:11:02 UTC 2006

>From: "Anil Kumar Sharma" <xplusaks at gmail.com>
>To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>Subject: Re: USB hard drive
>Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 22:26:30 +0530
>
>On 3/31/06, Jim Douglas <jdz99 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > No problem on Windows I copied file to the drive.
> >

>First, boot into windows (I hope U have Win2000 or XP)
>Go into manage   (Right click 'My Computer') -> manage -> disk management
>->
>
>check the  of partitons numbers and their format
>(primary are 1-2-3-4.  extended are 5-6-7- - - - -  -)

It doesn't show any partition numbers at all on windows.

>Now in linux try
># sfdisk -l    << use this very very carefully, better read manpages
>beforehand >>

sfdisk -l /dev/sda says "No medium found"

The only difference between this and my memory stick is that the USB HD is
FAT32.  I was going to try reformatting to FAT with windows but the only
option Windows gives me is NTFS .

Could the reason Linux is not recognizing this device be because it is
FAT32?

Jim