FC5 - Intel 82801G - High Definition Audio

Marcel Groner groner at puzzle.ch
Mon May 1 09:42:53 UTC 2006

Hi guys

I've got a Samsung Q35 - Centrino Duo. Check out my page

"Installing Fedora Core 5 on Samsung Q35":
<http://www.puzzle.ch/samsung_q35.html>

At the moment everything seems to work except the soundcard. :-(

Chip: Intel Corporation 82801G - High Definition Audio
Kernel-Module: snd-hda-intel

# lspci -v -s 00:1b.0
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
         Subsystem: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd Unknown device c504
         Memory at d8240000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
         Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+
Queue=0/0 Enable-
         Capabilities: [70] Express Unknown type IRQ 0
         Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
         Capabilities: [130] Unknown (5)

While installing FC5 the soundcard is detected successfully at install
but the sound is not working (I can't hear anything). using
system-config-soundcard there's always a nasty beep in the background
while playing the test sample. I tried to ajust levels with kmix and
alsamixer and played with all settings but I can't get it to work. the
best I get it a sound with background beep but that is kinda useless!

I'm using:
alsa-lib and alsa-utils from FC5: 1.0.11-3.rc2.2

I also tried the latest alsa packages (10.1.11-1.rc4) but then the sound
is completely gone.

does anyone know how to fix that issue?

Marcel