how to disable lid events in kernel (acpi)

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Mon May 1 18:16:59 UTC 2006

My Dell D800 latitude appears to have a buggy lid switch. Sometimes
when the lid is closed, the sleeping laptop wakes up.  I would like to
tell  ACPI to ignore all lid events, but cannot understand how to do
it without removing acpi altogether.  I don't want to do that, because
suspend is otherwise working fine now.  I understand I could remove
the kernel's "button" module, but then I'd lose the power button,
which I need to wake up the laptop.

Basically, I just wish I could change the LID status in ACPI, so
enabled changes to disabled in this output below.

# cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
Device  Sleep state     Status
 LID       3            * enabled
PBTN       4            * enabled