fstab missing line

J. K. Cliburn jcliburn at gmail.com
Tue May 2 01:03:17 UTC 2006

On 5/1/06, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:
> I don't know if anything is wrong, I don't think I want the computer
> to auto-mount CD's?  Auto-mount seems like a feature for a consumer
> device like a CD/DVD player, I usually have data, text, etc. on mine.  Maybe
> I'm missing something?

The default behavior for Fedora 5 includes automounting removable
media.  I don't like the "mount at {volume.name}" feature (for optical
media, anyway), so I wrote a HAL rule to override the volume name with
a fixed string -- "cdrecorder" in my case.  Now, all optical media
mount at /media/cdrecorder instead of /media/{volume.name}.

I've made no modifications to /etc/fstab to obtain this behavior.  As
a matter of fact, the mere presence of certain lines related to
/media/cdrecorder in /etc/fstab causes the mount not to appear in
/media (although it still appears on the desktop).  I filed a bug, but
haven't received any response.