Fedora 5 x86_64 Firefox & plugins.

Dan grinnz at gmail.com
Tue May 2 04:22:41 UTC 2006

Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 15:42 -0400, "Malcolm Candlish" wrote:
>
>> Having loaded Fedora 5 X86_64 all is well, but for Firefox w
>> hich is so slow as to be unusable. Konqueror on the other ha
>> nd goes like lightening.
>>
>> Furthermore, having loaded 'nspluginwrapper' the 32 bit plug
>> ins simply will not respond and when I tried to add a plugin
>> with the command nspluginwrapper -i the return given was 'T
>> his is a directory'. I did install by rpm both nspluginwrapp
>> er-0.9.90-1x86_64.rpm and -i386-0.9.90-1.x86_64.rpm. Is ther
>> e something that I am missing here.
>>

> I believe what a lot of x86_64 users end up doing is removing
> the 64-bit firefox and installing the 32-bit version.
>
> You have to manually create a repo file that points to i386
> base and i386 update. You then run
>
> yum remove firefox
> yum install firefox.i386
>
> or something like that - and it will pull in 32-bit firefox
> with al the 32-bit dependencies.
>
> I've not tried it myself.

You don't have to change any repo files; in FC5, just install yumex from
extras. Then, on the repos tab in yumex, select "Force i386
architecture" and it will use the -i386 repo files that are present. I
give pirut and pup a fair trial but I use yumex to do stuff like this,
it is very good at it. :)
-Dan