FC5 laptop install; incorrect graphics driver

Marcelo Magno T Sales marcelo.sales at sefaz.pe.gov.br
Tue May 2 13:35:14 UTC 2006

Hi,

Em Segunda 01 Maio 2006 18:16, Colin Brace escreveu:
> Hi all,
>
> I just did a fresh install of FC5 on my laptop, which has a Intel
> 915GM graphics chipset. For some reason, anaconda didn't correctly
> detect this and chose what appears to be an incorrect graphics driver;
> it displays at only 800x600 (should be 1200x800) and doesn't repaint
> the screen properly; also, there is no visible mouse pointer. Here is
> the relevant section of xorg.conf:

I have a notebook with this very video card. You can run anaconda in graphical
mode without problems running the vesa driver instead of letting anaconda
auto-detect your video card (use "linux vesa" to start installation).
After the installation, edit your xorg.conf and replace the i810 driver with
the vesa driver (use Driver "vesa"), so you can run X without the video
update problem you've described.
Then you'll need to select a monitor which supports the resolution you want
(use system-config-display and select LCD 1280x800, for example).
Look at xorg.conf to see if proper resolutions were added to the Modes line.
If not, add manually at least "1280x800". Also check if your default color
depth is 16 bits.
Download a software named 915resolution (http://www.geocities.com/stomljen/)
and use it to replace an unused video mode with 1280x800, since this
resolution does not exist in BIOS. 915resolution must be run everytime you
boot the computer, so you may want to add it to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local.
Reboot the notebook and you will be running X at 1280x800, the mouse pointer
will be visible and there will be no redrawing problems. However, the vesa
driver is somewhat slow...
I didn't manage to run X with i810/i915 drivers on this notebook yet. If it
run fine in FC4 as you said, maybe it will work if we downgrade xorg to the
FC4 version. Another possibility is to try this driver:
http://dri.freedesktop.org/snapshots/i915-20060403-linux.i386.tar.bz2
However, I did not have the time to experiment with it yet.

If you get i810/i915 drivers working, please post.

[]'s
Marcelo