wireless connection and X session

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue May 2 16:19:23 UTC 2006

François Patte wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson a écrit :
>> François Patte wrote:
>>
>>> Bonjour,
>>>
>>> I am facing a problem that I don't understand. I installed FC4 on my
>>> laptop and wireless is working fine but if I launch the wireless
>>> connection after the boot (using for instance ifup eth1) I loose the
>>> ownership of the X session, ie I am unable to open any graphical
>>> application.
>>>
>>> If I kill my session and log again, I recover this ownership (and the
>>> wireless connection is not lost...).
>>>
>>> Who can help me?
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>
>> Dumb question - is your hostname changing when you bring up the
>> network connection? If so, this will cause problems in X.
>
> This seems to be exactly the problem and it seems to be present only
> with gnome..... (not appears with kde...)
>
> What can i do? How to guess the hostname you will get when you want to
> use a wifi in an airport for instance? Shall I put all possible names in
> /etc/hosts?
>
> I'm interrested to the solution of this problem....
>
> Thanks.

The way I handle it is that I give the machine a hostname when I
configure it. This hostname gets tied to the loopback interface. The
name does not change when I bring up other interfaces. It gets
listed in /etc/hosts as having an IP address of 127.0.0.1. I am not
at may laptop right now, so I can not tell you the exact steps to
use with the GUI setup. I know you don't want the NEEDHOSTNAME
option in the interface setup, but I don't remember what the
checkbox is called. If you can not find it, and someone else doesn't
post it, let me know and I will look for it later.

Mikkel