[PHILOSOPHY] Stability and Release Schedules

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Tue May 2 16:31:37 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-27-04 at 15:52 -0700, John Wendel wrote:
> Here's your chance to slap me up side of the head!
>
> Reading the Debian thread (and others) has made me wonder why Fedora
> has to have "releases" at all. Why not have a continuously evolving
> distribution? One would start by downloading an "installer system"
> that would then use the existing mechanisms (yum, whatever) to update
> itself. From this point on, why would one need "releases"? Just keep
> releasing updates and new packages exactly as things are done now.
>
> I know there must be something wrong with this scenario; would someone
> like to hit me with a clue stick.

This thread is to long too read every entry. In case nobody has
mentioned it ;

The reason for releases is to allow for significant changes
to fundamental libraries that could break many things or
require almost every package to be updated at the same time.

I am not completely familiar with Debian, but other OSes use
a similar development/stable branch system. You may have
misread or been mislead, because most similar systems still
have releases for the reasons I stated above, but the only
time the releases change is when a significant change is
made, and not based on a time schedule. Periodically such
systems also have patch releases that fix security or
stability issues and require significant package updates.