How to read a tarball

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 09:27:23 UTC 2006

Hi Jeff,

> So Ark is the KDE equivalent of the Gnome file-roller. I learned
> something there
> How do you think it would be possible to edit a file in-place within
> compressed tarball?
> You can extract it and make the changes, then the utilities have the
> ability to replace the file in the archive.  This does change the
> archive though.

No. I'll copy the file/directory to some other place and edit them
there.  After finish I repack them back to the tarball replacing the
old file/directory, not directly editing them inside the tarball.  That
was what I did on other compression software.

That is the GUI operation of Ark.  What about its operation on command
lines.  I'm interested to learn some more.  Please shed me some light
in this respect.  TIA

B.R.
SL