/dev/dsp

Rickey Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed May 3 13:49:51 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 08:05 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
> >    I'm back to FC5 and here is what I see is this:
> >
> > [karl at k5di ~]$ ls -al /dev/dsp
> > crw------- 1 karl root 14, 3 May  2 17:23 /dev/dsp
> > [karl at k5di ~]$ gmfsk &
> > [1] 2757
> > [karl at k5di ~]$ *** opensnd: open: /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy ***
> >
> > The bottom writing is from my application which see's this /dev/dsp is
> > being used by some other application. But I can't figure out what it is.
>
> lsof -f -- /dev/dsp

You mught check to make sure your device isn't running full duplex...
that will make it busy as hell and eat up ALOT of cpu under alsa. Then
dink with your alsa settings ie: give it more priority, more cache, etc.
I used to get such messages, but I haven't seen one in awhile. Make sure
you've updated all your sound-related rpms. Good Luck... I call this
trouble shooting with a shotgun, Ric