[Fwd: Re: Open Letter: How the FOSS Community May Help Disabled Users]

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 3 16:48:15 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 06:55 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
>>Again no one is insisting anyone should do anything
>

> Well, actually the poster was.  They were trying to convince LUGs to do
> something that they weren't doing.  Go back and read their original
> post, and the links that they referred to in it (and the backscatter
> their postings produced), and also see Mike McCarty's response (I think
> it was him, I'm doing this by memory).  In short, if you think you're

You recall well.

> going to help disabled people by telling them that you're going to help
> them, and that you know better about how to help them, you're going to
> get responses.

Count on it. That's exactly why I responded. My girlfriend is
handicapped, and I am somewhat sensitive to people insisting
they know what we need. I especially get irate when people
go on a crusade like this, telling handicapped people that
they don't know what is good for them, and that the crusader
knows better than the handicapped people what they need.

>>So where is the problem in informing people of this need.
>

> There is a difference between making information public, and from going
> on a crusade.  The latter is what the original poster was doing.  When
> doing so, you get responses, not all of them what they want to hear.
> The original poster doesn't seem to understand this.

Why I responded.

[snip]

> I don't know the original poster's real background involvement with
> disability issues, but it cloys with mine.  Where someone who thinks
> that they have *the* answer, but it involves reorganising everyone
> around them, and often inpractically.  I see them doing exactly the same
> thing.

His stuff makes him look like a do-gooder well-intentioned but
without-a-clue nosy Parker. To me, anyway.

"Here, I'm not handicapped, and know nothing about what it is
like to be handicapped, but I have THE ANSWER for your needs."

[snip]

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.