Where is the best place for "mount" commands?

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Wed May 3 20:06:23 UTC 2006

WipeOut <wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

>Ok after some playing I found that .profile doesn't seem to work..
>
>I then tried automount but that proved to be irritating because I
>couldn't get it working either..
>
>So I used the only faithful.. /etc/fstab..
>
>Now the question is..
>
>When I used the "Places" menu to access network shares it created nice
>shortcuts to that location on the desktop and in the "file browser"
>windows in applications.. These same shortcuts were available in FC3
>when mounting a share using /etc/fstab.. With FC5 when mounting with
>/etc/fstab these shortcuts don't appear..
>
>How can I get them to show up?
>
>Thanks

Can't help you on that one.

What sort of problem did you have with .profile?  I just looked at the
bash man page and the order is actually /etc/profile followed by
~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login and then ~/.profile.  Only one file of
~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login and ~/.profile is executed if more than
one is present.  I'm one of those heretical tcsh folks so the last time
I had to deal with this for sh (as opposed to bash) it was ~/.profile only.

Cheers,
Dave