Pen drives

Gordon Gallup gallup.gordon at gmail.com
Wed May 3 20:42:48 UTC 2006

Greetings All,
  I have three pen drives, (A) an elderly 128MB Lexar, (B) a newer
(unknown manufacturer) 128MB one, and (C) a very new 1GB drive, again
with no label on the outside.  They behave differently in RH9, FC3,
and FC5.  The following results are all with KDE.
   In FC5 all work as desired, giving automatic detection and a icon
on the desktop for manipulation.
   In FC3 (A) works, but must be mounted by command line---no icon.
(B) is the same but is very slow. (C) shows an entry (USB-DRIVE) in
/media but is not mounted. Material copied to it stays on the machine
and never appears on the drive---no icon.
   In RH9 (A) works but must be mounted by hand.  Plugging in (B)
kills the machine to the point that not just X-windows but Linux must
be rebooted.  I haven't tried (C) on that machine yet.
   My question, Is there any place where one can research what is
going on here, and how the machines know the difference between the
drives?  If there is a HOW-TO on this subject, I don't seem to find it
in the lists.
Thanks for any ideas.