Kernel 2.6.16-1.2107_FC5: eth0 dead

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Thu May 4 04:11:25 UTC 2006

On 5/3/06, Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 04:58:54PM -0500, Jonathan Berry wrote:
>  > On 5/3/06, Richard Emberson <remberson at edgedynamics.com> wrote:
>  > >Just yummed kernel 2.6.16-1.2107_FC5 for a
>  > >x86_64 dell box and the eth0 connection
>  > >stopped working. Going back to the previous
>  > >kernel is a workaround.
>  >
>  > I am seeing the same thing, networking will not start with kernel
>  > 2.6.16-1.2107_FC5.  Running x86_64 FC5 on an AMD64  box with nForce4
>  > SLI chipset.  Reverting to an older kernel also solves the issue with
>  > me.
>
> Does booting with pci=nomsi fix this for you ?

Thanks for the reply, Dave.
Well, unfortunately, no it does not fix it.  When I try booting with
"pci=nomsi" I get a message saying that PCI doesn't know the option.
Letting it boot anyway gives the same behavior (or at least it hangs
for far too long trying to get an IP, at which point I hit reset).  I
even tried just "nomsi" just in case and no-go there as well.  As it
is, I also have an issue with RHGB under the 2107 kernel and I have to
boot without that to get to the Ethernet issue.

Jonathan