Pen drives

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu May 4 22:06:38 UTC 2006

Gordon Gallup wrote:
> Greetings All,
>  I have three pen drives, (A) an elderly 128MB Lexar, (B) a newer
> (unknown manufacturer) 128MB one, and (C) a very new 1GB drive, again
> with no label on the outside.  They behave differently in RH9, FC3,
> and FC5.  The following results are all with KDE.
>   In FC5 all work as desired, giving automatic detection and a icon
> on the desktop for manipulation.
>   In FC3 (A) works, but must be mounted by command line---no icon.
> (B) is the same but is very slow. (C) shows an entry (USB-DRIVE) in
> /media but is not mounted. Material copied to it stays on the machine
> and never appears on the drive---no icon.
>   In RH9 (A) works but must be mounted by hand.  Plugging in (B)
> kills the machine to the point that not just X-windows but Linux must
> be rebooted.  I haven't tried (C) on that machine yet.
>   My question, Is there any place where one can research what is
> going on here, and how the machines know the difference between the
> drives?  If there is a HOW-TO on this subject, I don't seem to find it
> in the lists.
> Thanks for any ideas.

I ran into this last night with a new drive and SD card.  Before I did a
reboot, neither would mount normally (Icon on the desktop), but after a
reboot, they did.  Of course I did a kernel upgrade at the same time.
This was on FC4.

What I did find out though, was the drives appeared in the disk mount
tool.  Applications > System tool > Disk Management where I could mount
them.  This is on FC4.

Are they listed in your Disk Management tool?

Now from what I can remember, the automount changed between FC1 and FC2
but not sure.  It just normally works as you say.

--
Robin Laing