Kernel 2.6.16-1.2107_FC5

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri May 5 03:33:07 UTC 2006

Globe Trotter wrote:
> Wish that Fedora had not released this kernel at all. In three years, this is
> the most disappointing things that has happened here, IMO. Fedora's quality has
> been superb for everything else, but to ship a kernel with so much problems:
> not good.
>
> Glad they took it out. I wonder if they can do something which would
> automatically remove it from yum updates.
>
> No, i dont intend walking out on FC. I am far too loyal for that!!
>
> Best,
> Trotter

system-config-boot works great for changing the default kernel quickly
without the need for an external editor. I use it for most of my
systems. It can change the timeout and allows you to choose which
version you want to boot by default.

Regarding the kernel with the severe problems, that is why we have the
running kernel and the new kernel at install. If the kernel is bad, boot
from the last working kernel.

Of course if the kernel causes severe damage, like filesystem
corruption, the backup kernel would not be of much use.

Whenever the next kernel is pushed, the 2107 kernel should be removed
and your running kernel and the newer kernel should be installed. I had
my system running wihout rebooting when several kernels were released
and the running kernel was not removed during the update. The newer than
the running kernel was removed and the newest kernel available was
installed. Things should fall into place once the replacement kernel is
released.

Jim

--
Avoid reality at all costs.