Dealing with 94 rpmnew files on new FC4 install after yum update

Roger crosseyedpenguin at cox.net
Fri May 5 17:31:36 UTC 2006

Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 05:19 -0700, Roger wrote:
>
>> Paul Howarth wrote:

>>> Are you by any chance using x86_64 and are many of these files
>>> associated with packages that you have both .x86_64 and .i386 versions
>>> installed? A common cause of spurious .rpmnew file generation is when
>>> multiple packages own the same config file (as is the case described
>>> above, and also for example /etc/vimrc).
>>>
>>> Paul.
>>>

>> Yes, I am using x86_64 and the rpmnew files seem to be consistent with
>> packages that have .i386 versions.  I tried removing a few
>> (alsa-lib.i386, apr.i386, and SDL.i386) and yum showed no dependencies
>> and removed them.  When I entered a remove command for the x86_64
>> counterparts, yum showed many dependencies so I did not remove them.
>>
>> So now the question is why do I have these .386 versions and is it a
>> good idea to remove them all?
>>

> I suspect they were installed by anaconda but other than that I can't
> say much; I don't currently have an x86_64 box myself so I'm not up on
> the gory details of what's needed and what's not.
>

>> I should note that I am trying to install MythTV and after the initial
>> yum update I added atrpms as a yum repository.  atrpms seems to be a bit
>> flakey (sometimes there and sometimes not), but I think all the rpmnew
>> files predated my adding atrpms as a repository.  I could do a clean
>> install again to verify that as I am having trouble getting lirc to
>> install correctly.
>>

> What problems are you having exactly?
>
> Paul.

My root problem is my ATI remote does not work, probably because "dmesg
| grep lirc" yields a message 'lirc_dev: no version for "struct_module"
found: kernel tainted'. I think this is because the lirc-devices.noarch
version installed is 0.7.0-1;  lirc and lirc-lib are versions 0.8.1.
lirc-kmdl is version 2.6.16 matching my 2.6.16 kernel.

The above is after I removed lirc (and MythTV along with it), and then
reinstalled both.  Prior to that I had the same modules installed plus
lirc and lirc-devel versions 0.7.2-1 installed.

I have been following the MythTV installation doc at
http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php and the ATI Remote doc at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATI_Remote_Wonder_II.

-----
Alex, thanks for the note -- I have had no trouble accessing atrpms
today, as I recall my prior problems were limited to early evenings and
weekends.

Roger