Asterisk and AMP RPM's

Patrick fedora at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Sat May 6 17:54:38 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-06 at 09:40 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
[snip]
> I used the src rpms here, to build asterisk on my home machine:
> http://www.laimbock.com/asterisk/
> After the install you have to do the zaptel and asterisk config files yourself
> as only samples are place in /etc and not where they could be picked up by
> asterisk or the zaptel management tools. The udev stuff gets done correctly.

The reason the samples are not installed in /etc/asterisk but
in /etc/asterisk-1.2.7.1_samples is to prevent your existing config from
being overwritten. This is also the case for /etc/zaptel.conf
and /etc/sysconfig/zaptel. Better safe than sorry.

After installing the rpms you need to do the following to get Asterisk
going (as root):

Copy /etc/zaptel.conf.sample to /etc/zaptel.conf and configure it
# cp /etc/zaptel.conf.sample /etc/zaptel.conf
[configure /etc/zaptel.conf]

Copy /etc/sysconfig/zaptel.sample to /etc/sysconfig/zaptel and change
the settings to your liking
# cp etc/sysconfig/zaptel.sample /etc/sysconfig/zaptel.sample
[configure /etc/sysconfig/zaptel]

If you want to use the samples, copy /etc/asterisk-1.2.7.1_samples
to /etc/asterisk
# cp -prv /etc/asterisk-1.2.7.1_samples /etc/asterisk

Start the zaptel service
# service zaptel start

Start the asterisk service
# service asterisk start

If all went well you can start a remote Asterisk console
# asterisk -r

Regards,
Patrick