Initial NFS access very slow

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 7 20:46:01 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 12:18 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> I have had this problem across several versions of Fedora, and maybe back into
> Red Hat Linux 7,8,9 days.  I can't exactly remember, but it's been a long time.
>
> When I first try to use a NFS share after not using it for a little while, it
> takes several seconds up to about a minute before I get a response.  After the
> initial command has been executed, things seem to work well.
>
> Any idea what could be holding things up?  I used to think that it was the other
> machine going to sleep somehow, but I can ssh into it instantly anytime, so I
> doubt that's the problem.
>
> --
> MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Melville Sask ~ http://theatre.sasktelwebsite.net
I am confused what initial command you are talking about. We have had 50
of our clients mounting their user directories though NFS using all the
RedHat products you mentioned and never had any problem accessing the
mounted directories.
What are command are you issuing that you are calling the initial
command?
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>