Win2003 login remotely to FC4 via VNC

zillah no-reply-gw at fcp.homelinux.org
Mon May 8 17:00:54 UTC 2006

I know that there are heaps threads about this topics , but this what I did without any success with FC4

I am logging as root (I know the security implication)
First:
[root at localhost ~]# rpm -q --info vnc-server

> Name        : vnc-server                   Relocations: (not relocatable)
> Version     : 4.1.1                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
> Release     : 10                            Build Date: Wed 27 Apr 2005 10:44:11 AM GST
> Install Date: Wed 15 Feb 2006 11:53:50 PM GST      Build Host: decompose.build.redhat.com
> Group       : User Interface/X              Source RPM: vnc-4.1.1-10.src.rpm
> Size        : 3054396                          License: GPL
> Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Fri 20 May 2005 10:28:29 PM GST, Key ID b44269d04f2a6fd2Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
> URL         : http://www.realvnc.com
> Summary     : A VNC server.
> Description :
> The VNC system allows you to access the same desktop from a wide
> variety of platforms. This package is a VNC server, allowing others to
> access the desktop on your machine.

Second:
The gedit /etc/sysconfig/vncserver

> # The VNCSERVERS variable is a list of display:user pairs.
> # Uncomment the lines below to start a VNC server on display :2
> # as my 'myusername' (adjust this to your own). You will also
> # need to set a VNC password; run 'man vncpasswd' to see how
> # to do that.
> # DO NOT RUN THIS SERVICE if your local area network is
> # untrusted! For a secure way of using VNC, see
> # <URL:http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/sshvnc.html>.
> #zillah uncomment VNCSERVERS="2:myusername"
>
> VNCSERVERS="2:root"
> #zillah uncomment VNCSERVERARGS[2]="-geometry 800x600"
> VNCSERVERARGS[2]="-geometry 800x600"

Third:
[root at localhost ~]# vncpasswd root
Password:
Verify:

Fourth:
[root at localhost ~]# vncserver
New 'localhost.localdomain:2 (root)' desktop is localhost.localdomain:2
Starting applications specified in /root/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /root/.vnc/localhost.localdomain:2.log

Is the command "vncserver" same as "service vncserver start" ?

[root at localhost ~]# service vncserver start
Starting VNC server: 2:root A VNC server is already running as :2

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-networking/56400-windows-fc4-vnc.html

> Then from windows, you just need to connect using the viewer, and type
> [hostname]:[screennum] in the connect box, and type in the correct

I could not find the option that [B]he[/B](in the quote above) was pointing , could you please look at this and let me what I missed?
http://img273.imageshack.us/img273/8994/vncviewer5vn.jpg

The error message that I received when I typed in the ip address for the address is below:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-list/2005-July/msg05595.html

> I am using FC4. The fix for me was that the default iptables (i think
> thats the firewall settings) were preventing incoming VNC connections.
> To overcome this in gnome i went to [B]Desktop>System Settings>Server Settings>Services[/B] There I stopped iptables - and immediately I was able to connect!

I did stop iptables as qoute above suggested.

I checked this as well
http://fcp.homelinux.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=524

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org