fc5: install everything?

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Mon May 8 21:44:18 UTC 2006

On 5/8/06, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> > > Yes it does. If you want designers to care about what you consider
> > > design bugs you need to use the bug tracking system to provide detailed
> > > input on it rather than send mails to user lists and expect the
> > > developers to read that.
> >
> > But then you'll only see a few people who are either fanatics
> > about some issue or just don't understand the right approach.
>
> Not sure what you trying to say here. Are you implying that people who
> use bugzilla are fanatics? The people who understand the right approach
> can very well use bugzilla to convey developers that information.
>
> > Here you get the sanity check of other users who wouldn't
> > normally peruse bugzilla either pointing out the mistake or
> > joining in about how they were also inconvenienced by a
> > change.
>
> You can achieve the same by filing a bug report and then inviting others
> to comment on it. Happens all the time.I have proposed a fedora bug list
> similar to cvs commits lists so end users can subscribe and track bugs
> easier. Bugzilla also has rss feeds, watch maintainer,  query to mail
> features and others to aid in this and upstream bugzilla can accept
> mails as comments on bug reports.

Bugzilla has improved, somewhat, from the early RH 5 days. However,
filing a bug report is not an easy endeavor. Filers have to understand
the jargon and navigate the imposing UI. Once filed there is no
guarantee that a developer will examine the report. So, yes, only a
true believer will file a bug report.

> Mailing lists are completely inefficient to track bugs compared to bug
> tracking systems. Pretty much every major open source project has
> bugzilla or some other bug tracking system for the very same reason.

There is higher visibility with a mailing list.  Create enough noise
and the squeaky wheel gets fixed.

Unless there is a process in place requiring developers to fix their
bugs bug tracking systems become nothing more than just window
dressing.