install of fc5 while running fc4?

David L idht4n at hotmail.com
Tue May 9 01:27:41 UTC 2006

[snip]
>So you have two partitions and you want to be able to put stuff into the
>other partition while you're running fc4 right?  the thing is, maybe you'd
>like to just upgrade... as in yum upgrade..

I don't want to upgrade my fc4 partition... I like to keep my old
installation until
I'm comfortable that all of the tools that I use work in the new release.
If you're
suggesting I upgrade my (inactive) fc3 partition, I don't know how to use
yum
to upgrade an inactive partition, and I've had problems upgrading in the
past.
I trust new installations more than upgrades (although I have to admit that
haven't tried an upgrade in several years, so maybe they work better now)?
Is it possible to yum upgrade an inactive partition? If so, how?  I actually
have
two partitions... a boot partition and a root partition.  Can I tell yum to
upgrade
an fc3 boot partition and a different fc3 root partition while I'm running
fc4?

Thanks...
          David