sendmail problem

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Tue May 9 22:34:41 UTC 2006

Greetings Ron ,

> Have you tried setting your hostname, e.g. 'hostname
> ini-wf.indystar.com' (as root...)  ? I'm about to
> try and configure my sendmail to actually work for mail, but i haven't
> really played with it much yet. I do notice, though,
> that even though I've never touched the factory defaults, it at least
> got the hostname right, even though all I've really done
> that should have affected it was to set the hostname.

  One other thing  I've noticed is that it apparently defaults to only
> listening on the localhost interface (127.0.0.1) and not the network
> interface, so I'll need to twiddle with that right off.

 From my sendmail.mc :

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The above line is from my sendmail.mc and i guess it gives you a
hint on why sendmail defaults to listen to localhost .

As to the original question on this thread . The relative lines
from my sendmail.mc are shown below .

MASQUERADE_AS(`cha.forthnet.gr')dnl
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is the domain that sendmail should masquerade to .

FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl

FEATURE(`local_no_masquerade')dnl

This FEATURE just says that if the mail is to be delivered localy then
don't
masquerade .
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`Magellan.Andromeda.Galaxy.net')dnl
This is the original Domain Name

Kind Regards,
   Kostas