fc5: install everything?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed May 10 07:40:50 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 23:48 +0200, Zoltan Boszormenyi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> well, I have read all the complaint letters about the $SUBJECT
> and I wondered if software installation can be done without
> net access but with the FC5 DVD at hand.
>
> I do have a solution for this (now non-)problem.
> Edit /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-core.repo, so the first three lines reads
> like these below.
>
> ---------------------------
> [core]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch
> baseurl=file:///media/disk
> ---------------------------
>
> Then put your installation DVD into your drive and do
>
> # yum install --exclude="dlm*" --exclude="gnbd*" --exclude="cman*"
> --exclude=magma-plugins "*"
>
> I needed those --excludes because yum cannot resolve dependencies
> for their kernels and I don't need them. So it still won't install
> everything
> but after that "yum install magma-plugins" will do the rest.
>
> It would be similar for mirrored updates and extras trees on the harddisk.
> I wonder why wasn't it the default baseurl? Maybe worth and RFE in
> Bugzilla...

That only works for people that:
(a) actually burn the installer image to DVD, which many people don't
because network installs are much faster and more reliable
(b) use DVDs rather than CDs
(c) have physical access to the machine every time when they want to use
yum so that they can insert the DVD into the drive and mount it (unless
they dedicate a DVD drive for this purpose)

I think the current default would work for a larger subset of the user
base, but it might be worth adding the media baseurl as a commented-out
example so that people could configure it easily enough. You'd still
need Internet access for all other enabled repos though, and there's no
quick workaround for those as only a very small proportion of users have
their own Extras and updates mirrors.

Paul.