unknown user: root

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed May 10 10:20:36 UTC 2006

Andy Green wrote:

>> This file is something to do with NIS auth.  Are you set up for NIS
>> auth to your knowledge?
>
> If not, run
>
> system-config-authentication
>
> as root and see what your situation is.  If NIS is enabled and you
> didn't want it, disable it.  My default situation has everything on the
> first property page of system-config-authentication turned off, and only
> "use shadow passwords" and "use MD5 passwords" turned on at the second
> property page.

Lol that advice might not be so useful if you can't run anything as
root.  Here is a default /etc/default/nss below... all comments.  I
guess you can rename you existing /etc/default/nss and just do

touch /etc/default/nss

and maybe things can be happier.

-Andy

# /etc/default/nss
# This file can theoretically contain a bunch of customization variables
# for Name Service Switch in the GNU C library.  For now there are only two
# variables:
#
# NETID_AUTHORITATIVE
#   If set to TRUE, the initgroups() function will accept the information
#   from the netid.byname NIS map as authoritative.  This can speed up the
#   function significantly if the group.byname map is large.  The content
#   of the netid.byname map is used AS IS.  The system administrator has
#   to make sure it is correctly generated.
#NETID_AUTHORITATIVE=TRUE
#
# SERVICES_AUTHORITATIVE
#   If set to TRUE, the getservbyname{,_r}() function will assume
#   services.byservicename NIS map exists and is authoritative, particularly
#   that it contains both keys with /proto and without /proto for both
#   primary service names and service aliases.  The system administrator
#   has to make sure it is correctly generated.
#SERVICES_AUTHORITATIVE=TRUE