FC5 cd read problem - nicer method !

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Wed May 10 14:15:17 UTC 2006

Edward Dekkers wrote:
> clemens at dwf.com wrote:
>> I had hight hopes for FC5, HELL, I was even going to install it
>> on my LAB machines without first testing it at home.
>>
>> But some visionary has turned it into crap.
>>
>> When doing an install, if the installer cant find a package you
>> used to get a message asking if you wanted it to try again. Whenever I
>> got this message, either rereading , or popping the CD out, and
>> cleaning it did the trick, next try
>> the installer was able to read the package and the install continued,
>> with a bit of a delay.
>>
>> Now some clown has 'fixed' this so that the only option you get
>> is to REBOOT.  I dont need a button to reboot, I can manage that
>> quite easily with <CTL><ALT><DEL> or a power cycle.
Did you by chance check VT 3 or 4 for which file it was having trouble
with ?

If you try and copy that file on this or another machine, does it
actually copy OK ? Is the copy legit and usable ?

Is it CD-RW ?

When I had this happen, it definitely wasn't readable direct from the
CD, even after cleaning drive lens, cd itself, and for a giggle ten
minutes in the freezer, or on a different PC.

>> My guess is, that I have some machines where I will NEVER be
>> able to install FC5 due to this improvment.  And Im not going
>> to try multiple times on the others, just to get a clean install.
As the guys have mentioned there is a lot of other ways.

If you want to do more than one PC, think seriously about setting up pxe
image (from the cd 1), tftp-server, dhcp-server, ftp/http server (on
another linux machine). For any PC that can boot direct from network,
this is the easiest way; for non-net-booters either cd 1, rescue cd or
just the boot.iso (i think) is enough to get it started.

Additionally you can use/modify the anaconda.ks file that is generated
on your first install machine, store it on the server, and use that to
build a lab full of identical machines.

linux ks=ftp://machine/folder/lab_machine.ks etc.

DaveT.