Another Network Manager Stupidity: Swapping eth0 and eth1

Alan J. Gagne alan.gagne at comcast.net
Wed May 10 19:42:04 UTC 2006

> On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 13:00 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 May 2006, Alan J. Gagne wrote:
> >
> > > I had a similar problem but not NM related when I
> > > added two 1GB nics to a box that had a 100MB onboard nic.
> > > I wanted the two 1GB nics to be eth0 and eth1 but
> > > the onboard nic would always revert to eth0 on reboot.
> > > I could bind them with system-config-network but could not
> > > get them to stay ordered to my preference.
> > >
> > > I added the aliases to modprobe.conf to solved this issue.
> > >
> > > alias eth0 r8169
> > > alias eth1 r8169
> > > alias eth2 e100
> >
> > I found that this trick did not work reliably.  After enough reboots, the
> > device mapping would change in spite of the aliases.  The initscripts
> > update in updates-testing will fix the problem once and for all.
>
> man iftab
>
> should show you what to do.

Cool, I will have to remember to use iftab next time I rebuild.
I have been using the modprobe.conf hack for about 8 months
on two boxes and have never had the interfaces come up wrong.
They have suffered many reboots from trying different clustering
configs,FC4,FC5 test1 to present.

Thanks for the tip!
Alan