Fishing License

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu May 11 19:19:17 UTC 2006

Rickey Moore wrote:
>>You cannot even boot a new computer without agreeing to the EULA.  The
>>service tech may do it in advance and you, as a user may never see it.
>>  It has happened to me.
>

> As I'm finally getting an 'almost' new machine, (I stay firmly a few
> cycles behind as I am cheap!) from a local shop, how do I go about
> making sure that:
>
> 1.) ..I'm not paying MicroSoft a dime.
> 2.) ..no sneaky sneak by the dealer hiding MS somewhere in the cost of
> the system occurs.
> 3.) ..that I incur no nothng towards MS in this purchase.
> 4.) ..no smell of MS on the darddrive.
> 5.) ..that the cost of MS is backed out of this deal.
> 6.) ..I can remain the nice charitable fellow I am, being Bill Gates
> free.
>
> Any thoughts on the matter will be appreciated. Ric

This is relatively easy.

You get a cost breakdown including software and then get a cost without
any software.

Many package deals come from the suppliers with the software already
installed and paid for and the local dealers cannot make any differences.

I just got a new laptop and there was no option to get it without
software but the software is still sealed and I should look at getting
rid of it.  I got my desktop without software and saved ~$50 which is
about the wholesale cost.

Good luck.

--
Robin Laing