Good Bye FC5

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu May 11 20:07:43 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 11:30 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> open in new windows on your display.  What I want is just the
> menu button, though. If it had a name, I'd expect to be able
> to 'ssh -Y remote_machine gnome-menu' or something like that
> and get a working remote menu.

So do what I did with evolution.  Create a script on the remote machine
something like:

#!/bin/bash
evolution --force-shutdown
evolution

Then on your local machine create a custom launcher with the command
like:

ssh -Y nameofremotemachine /fullpathto/nameofscripttorun

When I click on that icon on my local machine I get a very nice password
requester which then connects via ssh to the remote system and runs the
script as specified.  The display is forwarded back to my local system.

In the custom launcher make sure the run in terminal option is not
checked.

You should be able to do similar things for pretty much any application.
And you don't need to have a script on the remote system, you can point
to the actual application.  In my example I found it useful to force
evolution to shutdown first before trying to restart it.