Fishing License

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu May 11 23:51:07 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 18:41 -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 16:23 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 12:16:30 -0500,
> >   Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > There are no GPL restrictions related to using software, they
> > > only control how you can redistribute it.
> >
> > That may not be strictly true with GPL v3. Tentatively there is wording such
> > that if you modify the source and let people use the source through web
> > server, then you will need to make your changes avaliable.
> >
> IIRC Linus has already said that Linux will not be switching to the
> GPLv3 licensing.  He cannot speak for other things, but at least we can
> expect the kernel will never get into those changes.

This whole discussion is based on false presumptions. GPLv3 drafts have
no such clauses restricting usage whatsoever. It is merely compatible
with licenses which enforce such restrictions such as Affero GPL
license.

A related recent discussion might help clarify this

http://fsfeurope.org/projects/gplv3/fisl-rms-transcript.en.html#licence-
compatibility

Rahul