Fishing License

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri May 12 06:06:01 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 14:52 -0300, Jacques B. wrote:
>> It's unreasonable to expect parents to have access to PowerPoint for
>> school projects.
>
> I think it's unreasonable that parents should have to stump with $1000+
> worth of machinery (a PC), plus proprietary lock-in software, for

Yes indeed, although many families will have one anyway nowadays for
Internet access.  The lockin bit is true, I grind my teeth knowing my
taxes moronically go to perpetuate a MSFT monopoly for the next generation.

> It, homework, is pointless anyway.  I work in electronics, I highly
> technical field.  I've never needed anything I was taught at high school
> beyond basic maths in the first couple years, and the same applies for
> most people that I know in a wide variety of jobs.  All those nightly

My wife is a lecturer, they have a term 'autodidact' meaning someone
that teaches themselves.  I recognized your experience of school as
being pretty similar to my own, but I don't think our case is the
majority one.  Other people need a structured logical and progressive
course to digest information whereas if you can acquire knowledge and
follow veins of it on your own, everything outside where you wanted to
go is nothing but a painful holdback.  Each educational era had it fads
and passing methodologies, and every country has it different, no wonder
many people disagree with your global assertions :-)

-Andy