Fishing License

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri May 12 13:28:12 UTC 2006

Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 16:23 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
>>On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 12:16:30 -0500,
>>  Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>There are no GPL restrictions related to using software, they
>>>only control how you can redistribute it.
>>
>>That may not be strictly true with GPL v3. Tentatively there is wording such
>>that if you modify the source and let people use the source through web
>>server, then you will need to make your changes avaliable.
>>

> IIRC Linus has already said that Linux will not be switching to the
> GPLv3 licensing.  He cannot speak for other things, but at least we can
> expect the kernel will never get into those changes.

Things can happen over time.  What happens if a core driver all gets an
new piece of code that the maintainer decides to put under GPL3?  Will
it be dropped?  What about a driver for a new piece of hardware?  These
could change the domain of the GPL3 decision down the road.  Of course
this could push the Linux kernel back into a micro kernel.

As I say to my kids, never is a long time.
--
Robin Laing