yum mirrors not in sync

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Fri May 12 20:14:33 UTC 2006

For the past couple of weeks or so, the various mirrors for fedora updates
(at least) have not even been close to sync'ed with the main repo or each
other.  Many posters have reported problems that come down to un-sync'ed
mirrors -- though yum may be making it worse by changing mirrors on each
file of a transaction (?).

I frequently have to Ctrl-c out of yum and "yum clean metadata" after a
mirror that is far in the past deletes hundreds of updates.  I sometimes
have to re-issue the original command after "repodata does not match
checksum" and "no more mirrors to try" -- it usually works on the second
(or third try), with the same metadata as before.  I have a workaround that
I won't mention here, as it doesn't scale.

For FC4, there were local mirror lists, such as .us.east or .uk.  I don't
see this for FC5.  Should there be local mirror lists for FC5?

I don't see any bugs on the sync issue, but I may not be looking at the
right place (Fedora Infrastructure/unspecified/update system).

Do others feel that this is a current problem with yum updates?

Should I file a bug, and where?