OT for Fedora; but, pertinent to Linux printing??

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sat May 13 09:16:33 UTC 2006

Hi;
I want to write some small scripts for printing files.  I've looked in
man lpr, a2ps, enscript, CUPS and googled.  Can someone tell me where I
can find the appropriate information to do the following?

Script #1:  Print any text file to 5.5" x 8.5" sheets of paper.  I keep
my scrap printer paper and cut it in half for notes to myself.  I want a
script that can use the same scrap paper to print notes etc. that I
write to myself.  I write them on all kinds of different word processors
and text editors but want to print them (unformatted if necessary) so I
can pocket them.

Either I have mis-read or I don't understand something, but how do I set
up a one-time temporary page size in the script and then return it to
letter size?  Where should I look?  What printing program?  My printers
(HP psc 1315 & Epson colour stylus 740) allow custom sizes.

Script #2: Some suggestions on how I might go about accomplishing Script
#2 would be appreciated.  I want to start a print job X (user variable)
number of lines down on the first sheet or page.  This is so that if I
have a note that is, say, 12 lines long and I want to add more I can
rerun the sheet through the printer and add the new text to the white
space after line 12 of the sheet of paper.

All of the above can be done through a word processor but I am hoping to
set something up that is quick and dirty.

--
Regards Bill