Networking Bridging

Justin Willmert justin at jdjlab.com
Sat May 13 21:21:31 UTC 2006

David Cary Hart wrote:
> On Wed, 10 May 2006 21:30:59 -0500, Justin Willmert
> <justin at jdjlab.com> opined:
>> I need some help getting my network bridge to work right.
>>
>> In FC4, I just added a couple lines to ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1
>> and created a ifcfg-br0 file and it'd work, but in FC5, those same
>> steps aren't working. I don't have a clue how to go about debugging
>> what's going on (I've tried to look into it, but the number of
>> different files and programs involved in starting the network is
>> too much for me to handle).
>>
>> If I follow the tutorial given at
>> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8172 for setting up a bridge
>> manually, the bridge will work. It just doesn't work with the
>> network/init scripts.
>>
> My scripts look different than yours. Have you included an alias in
> modprobe.conf? (alias br0 bridge). Does lsmod show "bridge?" Have you
> followed the following:
>
> 	# brctl addbr br0
> 	# brctl addif br0 eth0
> 	# brctl addif br0 eth1
> 	# ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
> 	# ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0
> 	# ifconfig br0 ip.address.here

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I've been really busy with school,
and then when I am at home, we've been having internet problems...so
finally here I am.

I added and alias line in modprobe.conf and I'm still getting the same
error messages. I did find in /var/log/messages, some errors about the
tulip driver, but I can't figure out what I did to generate them.
Restarting the network over and over isn't seeming to create them, so
I'll have to look into that further. Here are the lines I see repeated:

0000:00:0a.0: tulip_stop_rxtx() failed
0000:00:0b.0: tulip_stop_rxtx() failed
0000:00:0a.0: tulip_stop_rxtx() failed
eth0: Setting full-duplex based on MII#1 link partner capability of 45e1

Does anybody know where I've gone wrong?
Justin