FC5, Another unhappy camper

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun May 14 09:00:07 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 12:31 -0700, Stephen Mirowski wrote:
> I believe, submitting bug reports can be discouraging.  Open source,
> commercial, whatever.   Look through lists of bug reports, across
> various projects, that have no responses whatsoever by debuggers or
> developers.  The submitter is then asking, has anyone even read this?
> A simple response such as "I can't reproduce this" is enough of an
> acknowledgement to show the submitter that their input is valued.

It has to depend on what package you're writing a bug report on.  I've
reported several bugs, and just about all of them got resolved.  Some
very quickly.  I was lucky that in most cases I could come up with some
useful background information to go along with the bug (e.g. so-and-so
crashed while starting because it couldn't find "some" file).  But if
you can't do that sort of thing, it makes it hard for another person to
rectify a fault, particularly if it works fine for them.

I read messages from the public lists.