skype problems

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun May 14 11:40:10 UTC 2006

Lauri wrote:
>> Actually 2 of them.
>>
>> 1. I can only make one connection per reboot, otherwise there is
>> "something wrong with the audio device" when a new connection is
>> attempted.  My headphones continue to function normally.  And my own
>> voice is flawless both in my phones and at the other end of the call.
>>

> This is a known bug, Skype doesn't close the device. Restarting Skype
> fixes that.

Not on this laptop running FC5, only a reboot will allow it to make one
more connection.

> Use skype_dsp_hijacker.

I do use that at home, but I was under the impression that it was
required because the home machine has two sound cards in it, an audigy 2
for normal audio use, with the onboard ac97 stuff partitioned off as
snd_card_1 for use only by skype.  That seems to work only so-so due to
duplexing problems.

> See: http://forum.skype.com/viewtopic.php?t=32290
>
>> 2.  Reception is very intermittent, and coupled with a lot of
>> chuttering noises.  This I verified is on my end by trying the echo123
>> facility, even the ladies recorded voice was chopped up into just
>> fractions of a word here and there.
>>

> This is also a common problem. I fixed this with dmix-ing.
>
> See: http://forum.skype.com/viewtopic.php?t=4068
> My solution: http://forum.skype.com/viewtopic.php?p=197195#197195

I'll check those out thanks.

However, I also have created an account at ekiga.net for a free sip
phone, and this is part of the FC5 install.  My tests so far with their
echo service indicate it has none of the warts and OSS legacy related
problems that skype has.

Now I need to get my friend to install it on his old RH9 system, if it
will that is.

>> As a point of note, skype only opens a path to /dev/dsp once on the
>> reboot and restart.  It shows 3 opens to /dev/mixer when a failed call
>> to echo123 is live, and leaves 2 of them behind when it has been hung up.

And I should have added that the only time it shows an open of /dev/dsp
is on the first connection after a reboot.

--
Cheers, Gene