FC5 xorg and dual head

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun May 14 22:45:28 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 12:24, Chris Jones wrote:

> > Have you run any other operating systems before?  Some of them
> > have maintained backwards compatibility for decades.  It's
> > not impossible and not too much to expect for one release
> > back.
>
> I'm not sure I understand your point. With FC5 we DO have backwards
> compatibility maintained. IF you need them they are installed for you. Are
> you suggesting they should be installed regardless of if anything needs them
> or not. ? If so I would have to disagree, I don't want stuff on my machine I
> don't need.

I'm suggesting that you should never depend on a single supplier
for everything or tools that make it difficult for other
suppliers to cooperate.  It's much too risky that you'll
run into a dead end where you need a device driver or
application that could easily exist for your platform
but doesn't because your supplier doesn't play well with
others.

The compatibility you claim exists is only for things
bundled for the distribution or rebuilt to match the
things that change on a whim.  It's not there for
third party add-ons or things you've built yourself.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com