RAID SATA cards

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon May 15 16:19:02 UTC 2006

Benjamin Franz wrote:
> On Mon, 15 May 2006, Randy Vice wrote:
>
>> I'm looking to update my FC4 box (home server) to SATA RAID 1, any
>> suggestions on the least painful low end RAID SATA card?
>

> I would look at the 3ware 80062LPKIT PCI SATA Controller Card. It is a
> $125 through newegg.

I have been using MD for ages with no complaints with SATA.  I use cheap
controllers and LVM.  No issues to worry about hardware compatibility.

My present system has on board for two drives and an add-in card for the
second two drives.  md0 has one drive on the MB and one on the add-in
card.  Same for md1.

If I want to add more drives, I just add another card and then move the
drives around.  I just didn't want both drives on the same controller card.

I have looked at RAID cards for a file server but I am waiting for NCQ
to be common place and the prices to drop a bit. :)

--
Robin Laing