RAID SATA cards

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon May 15 17:36:53 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 09:35:49 -0400,
  Randy Vice <damocles at thenostromo.com> wrote:
> I'm looking to update my FC4 box (home server) to SATA RAID 1, any
> suggestions on the least painful low end RAID SATA card?

You probably don't want to do that. Most likely you are better off using
software raid. Software raid allows for more flexible set ups, does not
tie you to specific hardware, will perform well compared to cheap raid
cards, does not require installing properitary drivers, and rarely does
the CPU hit make a significant difference.

In the event you need higher performance, then you should consider getting a
good raid card with battery backed cache.